Sunday 13 September 2015

Static Addition

Static Addition

We have been working on static addition for some time, we started out with the golden beads using multiple add ends. I followed the Karen Tyler album for these lessons. You start these lessons using multiple add ends, so you start adding numbers in the thousands together first.

This is one of the sums that Nuh did at the beginning of this process, when he was still using the golden bead material:



I used to write out the sum for him on paper using the correct colours for thousand, hundreds etc.. I know you are meant to use the number cards for this but I prefered to do this as it makes more sense to me, especially as we will be moving onto written sums eventually.

I cannot remember how long we did the static addition like this for, it was a good few weeks though. Once he felt that he had mastered it, he asked to do the sums with out the manipulatives. This is known as moving from concrete to abstract and is the goal of the album. I purchased some static addition sums from the Montessori Printshop. They were cheap and good value for money, I feel.



No comments:

Post a Comment