Sunday 22 March 2015

Ancient Babylon: The Hanging Gardens of Babylon

As you probably know Ancient Babylon crops up a few times in the history time line. This post is about the chapter from CHOW that relates to the creation of the hanging gardens of Babylon. Again this post is a retrospective post as we actually completed this activity quite some time ago.

As with all of our history studies we started out by my reading the chapter from CHOW. We then discussed what we had read, as I mentioned in an earlier post I do not read the whole chapter from beginning to end then ask him to narrate it back. I read approximately a paragraph then ask him to tell me something that interested him from the reading, we then discuss this. When we have finished reading the chapter we then do some copy work. I ask Nuh to tell me which was his favourite part of the chapter. This week he chose the part about King Nebuchadnezzar going mad.  I copied this out onto our note booking paper, I pointed out the grammar, then had him copy it out.



Sometimes he does not want to draw a picture to go with the copy work which I do not mind as we usually do a craft to go with the chapter. I know that doing craft is not strictly CM, but hey I am home educating I can do what I want. Anyway the craft helps to solidify the information. Today we are making, that's right you guessed it the 'Hanging Gardens of Babylon'.
This craft will take more than one day to complete, which I am totally cool with. We used cereal boxes, paper cups and tissue boxes, glued them together with my glue gun and then glued tissue paper over the boxes, this will allow us to paint over the boxes without the writing showing through. When this was dry we then painted it and orange/brown colour. When the paint was dry we then painted on the arch ways, and went into the garden to collect some plant material to glue onto the garden, I used my glue gun for this.

This is our finished product, the kids were really pleased with how it turned out, me too... I always let Zuh take part in our craft projects even if she has no idea what we are doing.


p.s yes that is a log on the carpet in the background.lol





No comments:

Post a Comment