Thursday 26 March 2015

Keeping Track of work

Whilst here in the UK, there is no requirement to keep records of student work when you are home educating. I like to keep track of what we have done, it also allows the children to see their own progress in action as it were. In order to do this I use two forms, one is my termly checklist, which I downloaded and adapted from Charlotte Mason help, and the other is a variation of a checklist that I saw on line somewhere.

The termly checklist is just that, it has each subject that I teach broken down by day over a 12 week term.  See image below:
I cannot offer you a copy of this as it is not my work but you can find them here by joining the yahoo group. CHARLOTTE MASON HELP YAHOO GROUP


The other tool that I use to keep organised is the children's checklist. I print this out at the beginning of the week and keep it in a plastic page cover which goes in their morning work folder. I put it in here as I did not know where else to put it. The whole weeks lessons fit onto one page and included a section for comments. But here is the best bit, each day includes a list of the lessons and what we do, with a column for 'done' and 'grade'.  For some reason Nuh is really into ticking things off, so he likes this bit and it gives him accountability which is good. The grade column is not used to record traditional grades like 'A' and 'B' as I think Nuh is way too young for this, but is used for our own grading system:


  • E= Excellent 
  • S= Satisfactory
  • N= Needs work
Notice that I did not use 'unsatisfactory' I hate this term, I used to see how it crushed colleagues at work when I was a teacher when they received an 'unsatisfactory' for an observation. Imagine how crushing for a child. Needs work, is much more constructive.
Each 'E' on the weeks checklist receives a reward. We just add them up and give some money for every 'E'.

You can get an editable copy of the checklist here, by clicking on the text underneath the image:




No comments:

Post a Comment