Friday 13 March 2015

Our History Curriculum

What we do for History

We largely stick to CM for history, I say mainly because we do veer off a little and we do differ slightly in that we only do world history and not both UK and world history. We did try doing both when Nuh was 6 but it was a tiny bit overwhelming for both of us, so I wanted to simplify this year but still cover history, so I thought that I would wait until the time line converges and then pick up UK history again.

The curriculum we follow is a mixture of the book recommendations from the Charlotte Mason Help website and The Mystery of History Vol 1. Our main text is 'A Child's History of the World ( CHOW)  we also use some of the other book selections from CM help. (See links below for all books)

So what do we do on a weekly basis? Well I read the chapter from CHOW as per CM methodology, whilst doing so I will pause at significant points and Nuh to narrate back to me. He is not old enough for a non stop reading of an entire chapter which he then narrates back. So I read two paragraphs perhaps or one, then pause and ask him to narrate to me. This is done in a very informal way, through a little discussion or me expressing astonishment at something we have just read, which will then lead to Nuh then adding his recollections and thoughts. When we have read the chapter we then complete some note booking.

Note booking at the moment involves me asking Nuh what his favourite part of the story was, it is usually something violent. I then write out a sentence from the chapter about his favourite part, which he then copies onto note booking paper. After he has completed his copy work, he can then either draw a picture relating to the story in the space at the top of the page or stick and image or some stickers if I have them.  You can download a copy of the note booking page that I have made by clicking on the link below the image.

Next up we place our time line card onto the massive cork board that we have, at this age CM does not require dates on the time line, its more to give a sense of the order of events in history. You can download a copy of the time line cards that I have made below:






Finally we complete a craft activity relating to the chapter. I have these crafts planned out about 5 weeks in advance. This gives me plenty of time to buy the relevant materials. I will include these in a separate post along with our current timetable and yearly objectives.

Book links

Childs History of the World

The Mystery of History vol 1


No comments:

Post a Comment