Thursday 12 March 2015

Numbers 1 to 5

I have decided to start teaching Zuh some basic Maths concepts, she is still only 4 1/2 so I will only be doing Maths and Adab/Habit training, no phonics or anything else.

Some of the first lessons in the Karen Tyler Maths album relate to the numbers one through ten. The first lesson deals with quantity, then symbol, then quantity and symbol together. I didn't really document this with Nuh, but Alhamdillah, Zuh is chomping at the bit (sensitive period) for numbers and counting. So I am going to document activities as we go, I didn't bother buying the official Montessori counters, and wooden number symbols. Instead I used some wooden numbers from 'The Range' and a variety of objects for counting, I will now reuse these with Zuh. One of the cheapest and best counters in my humble opinion are the glass nuggets you buy in the garden centre, I do believe you can buy them in a lot of pound shops as well. I like these because they are not too fancy as to be distracting but they are lovely and tactile and my kids anyway seem to love them.

Zuh can already count out individual objects 1 - 20 but can only recognise number symbols 1, 2, 3 and 4. So obviously I will be concentrating on teaching her the symbols for each number one to 10 this will involve lots of counting, which she loves.

Lesson 1

Even though the Zuh can recognise the numbers 1 - 4 I wanted to give her something that she can easily accomplish for her first lesson ( self esteem building and all that, also as this was her first ever lesson I wanted it to be a success)  so I thought we would do three activities around this. The first activity was to correctly identify the symbols for 1 through to 4. I made sure that she could recognise them without any mistakes, so I did a simple presentation by laying each number out and naming it, then I pointed to them into sequential order and asked her to identify them. Lastly I mixed them up so that they were out of sequential order and then pointed to them and asked her to identify the number. She did all of the above without any problem.

I then let her decorate the numbers.







Next I took an activity straight from the Karen Tyler Album involving stickers and counting. Basically you set up a piece of paper with the numbers on that you are presenting, and some stickers on a tray. The task was to simply put the correct amount of stickers in the correct number column. Simple but effective.






















Lesson 2

This lesson was all about 5, I wanted to focus on this number individually as she sometimes confuses it with 2. So I did not do a traditionally Montessori presentation of 3 numbers, we just did 5. I started the lesson by reviewing yesterday's learning. I then got out the wooden number 5, I placed it in front of her on the tray and said "this is the symbol for 5", I then got her to trace the number with her finger and say 5. Next I got her to decorate the number 5.

After she had decorated the number 5, I gave her a number of activities that involved counting to 5 and sequencing. First I made a sticking activity, using a grid format. Basically she had to stick the right amount of circles in each row to correspond with the number. I had originally planned to use pom poms with this task, but decided that coloured circles would be better as pom poms don't stick very well.


This is the tray set up
This is the completed activity



The next activity that I had prepared was hole punching the correct amount of holes into each card. Zuh really liked this as she has never used the single hole puncher before so it was a novel for her.

After that she completed a counting task of a one to one correspondence. The activity was to put the numbers in sequential order and then count out the correct amount of pom poms onto each card.



Finally she completed a number puzzle, where she had to look at the numbers on the bottom and put them into sequential order in order to complete the puzzle.



You can download the activities that I made for Zuh by clicking on the link below the image:




No comments:

Post a Comment