Wednesday 11 March 2015

Geography Curriculum 2014 -2015

What we will be using 

For Geography this year we are totally eclectic, we are using CM, Montessori and the Trail Guide to World Geography  (TGG)  in conjunction with several other books we have such as Geography through Art and The Ultimate Geography Guide (UGG). I bough the latter two books mainly because they are constantly referenced in the Geography Trail Guide. The reason why I chose this method is that I knew that I would not be able to Montessori pure ( see previous page on Montessori mash up )  I was also really struggling to find suitable living books for CM in relation to English geography.  So after reading many a blog and several reviews I chose the TGG and the related books, I bought them all from Amazon for a total of about £30.

I will use various living books as well to supplement our learning, for instance I plan on using Around the World in 80 Days and reading this when we start to move through the different continent studies in the TGG. I have also found a really nice book about a young Muslim boy from England who has family in Egypt. Its called 'Adventures in the Nile' by Susan Omar. I bought this from Amsons on Coventry Rd, Birmingham. There are obviously other books from the living book lists on the Ambleside online curriculum, Charlotte Mason Help and Simply Charlotte Mason. A lot of living books can be found free online through the Baldwin Project.

From a Montessori perspective I will include anything that I think will further our knowledge, this might be 3 part cars ( which I use in my own way) or continent box type activities or objects.

Geography Books 

Trail Guide to World Geography


The Ultimate Geography and Timeline Guide


Geography through art




No comments:

Post a Comment