Monday 16 March 2015

Our version of Islamic studies

This post will be past tense, as it is attempting to condense what we did for two years.

Back in September 2012 when we first started out and very dear sister and I worked together to devise a curriculum for Islamic Studies. Now obviously we knew that there are many different excellent curriculum's that you could buy, however we felt that they kind of dropped you into Islam to far on as it were. Our thinking at the time was that surely the children need to know the history of prophets in order to understand Islam's place in world religions and that Muhammad (SWS) is the last prophet and messenger. We did not do anything special we simply decided to use Ibn Kathir's stories of the prophets ( this is free on line to download) as our base for fact checking. I would then rewrite some of the information from this in a more child friendly format, whilst still keeping the rich language. Sort of like a living book.

I also used some of the good word books but kept to the facts from Ibn Kathir book. So I would simply omit anything from the text in the good word books that did not concur with the Ibn Kathir book.  I have several good word books that include information about the line of prophets. I also used the 'Learning Roots' books, where i could. I would just read straight from these.

We decided that we would just use note booking and discussion to solidify the information and help the children retain what was read.  So a typical lesson in our house would go like this, first I would say we are going to learn about Adam (AS), the first prophet. I would then read him the abridged version that I had written or use one of the other books that I have mentioned. After we do some copy work about what I had read about Adam (AS) and draw a picture.(this is where the note book pages come in) Initially we would discuss what I had read I  would then write up the narration, and get Nuh to do a little bit or writing, by tracing over my words, as he was only just learning how to do his letters.




The prophet studies took about a year and a term.


No comments:

Post a Comment