Wednesday 4 March 2015

Teens

Learning about teen numbers

The Karen Tyler album, starts out with quantity. I fetched the coloured bead stair, and 9 golden bead 10 bars over to the table. Now the magic I absolutely love the way that this done, take one of the 10 bars and put it vertically in front of the child and then get the one bead from the coloured bead stair and put it next to it, and say " Ten add one is eleven". Wow so simple and so completely understandable. Repeat this with all of the teen numbers up to 19. Nuh totally got this straight away as I knew he would, Montessori maths is totally brill....
Completed work

Over subsequent days I then reinforced the concept a few more times by having Nuh replicate the work with the beads. Once he had mastered the quantity element I then wanted him to be able to identify the written numbers. I used our homemade teen boards for this and followed the presentation in the Album. (sorry no pics of this)


 I then set up a number of activities for him in order to solidify the new concepts. I made a tray using the teen number cards that I made, some animal stampers, and a few sheets of paper divided into columns. basically he had to take one of the cards turn it over and place it on the tray or in the dish, then stamp that many animals into the column. I did not put the cards in sequential order as I knew he would catch on to this quickly and stop looking at the symbol.

 Here is another activity that I created its a worksheet that reinforces the concepts, Nuh had to count the beads and the draw a line to the correct number. You can download a more ascetically pleasing version by clicking on the link below the picture.

I wanted Nuh to work on writing the number symbols for each of the teen numbers, he really dislikes writing of any sort even numbers, SubhanAllah. So I made this worksheet for him basically he had to read the number then trace it twice,then write it independently. Again I have made a better version of the sheet, click on the link below the picture

No comments:

Post a Comment